Technically tomorrow marks a month since we welcomed our second, Devyn Evangeline into the world but I’ve managed to find a small pocket of time where I can actually journal and upload pictures so here we are! It’s been an exciting adventure getting to know Devyn and her rhythm. There’s been many sleepless nights and let’s just say Nespresso lattes and McDonald’s iced hazelnut coffees have been my best friends the last month (I have superior taste in coffee, don’t I?)
Devyn is definitely a game changer. Actually, having two kids is a game changer in itself. I told myself I’d never be one of those moms that forget to brush her hair, take a shower, attempt to look decent when out and about, return a text/e-mail in a timely manner, or more importantly—eat, and for the most part I’m pretty good at all of the above, but it definitely requires strategic planning, time management, and teamwork with David. I’m constantly asking myself or David when was the last time we fed Devyn?, where did my keys go?, where are my glasses?, did Deacon eat?, when did we last change Devyn’s diaper?, Deacon’s diaper?, when are we going to potty train Deacon? when did I eat?, did you eat??, etc. etc. etc. I’m so thankful how hands-on David is! This is our new normal, but I wouldn’t change anything about it.
I’ve been enjoying Devyn as a newborn a lot more than with Deacon. Don’t get me wrong, I have great memories with the little guy but I vividly remember feeling a sense of dread during those first few weeks with Deacon as the sun set. While the rest of the world was fast asleep, the thought of waking up every 2 to 3 hours to nurse him seriously stressed me out. This time around, I actually kind of look forward to those long nights because it’s one of the rare times I have for myself where I get to be in the Word, catch up on my HGTV/E!/social media, or browse through my photos from the day on my iPhone.
Another reason is that since Deacon was my firstborn, I didn’t know what the heck I was doing (shh don’t tell him that). It took a while until I fell into a natural rhythm with him, so a lot of it was reading books and blogs to guide me and I actually leaned on David a lot because he already had so much experience and exposure with newborns when he helped out with his twin nieces during his single, seminarian days. So when David comments that I’m more affectionate with Devyn, I realize it’s because I feel more at ease with caring for her. I remember hearing how the second, third, fourth, etc. child receives more and more love than the previous, and I used to think there’s no possible way my heart can love more than my first, but it’s so true! I can only imagine how much love our third would receive :p
With Deacon, I made an intentional effort to chronicle any milestones, adventures, or significant folks he met throughout his first year via Facebook. I hadn’t discovered Instagram back then (honestly, I didn’t understand the concept of uploading pictures and followers double tapping) but I’m singing a different tune now because it’s pretty addicting, especially when you’re sleep deprived and have nothing better to do at 4am. Anyhoo, I still haven’t decided whether or not I’ll do the same with Devyn, but for now I’m going to attempt documenting her monthly updates on my blog. So here we go~
- You’re sleeping in 2-3 hour stretches. One night you slept for 4 hours straight, and your mama woke up super excited…but it ended up being a fluke.
- You’re eating like the little piglet I knew you’d be. I mean, let’s not get started on your cluster feedings, but I’m so glad you have a healthy appetite because your cheeks are growing chubbier by the day!
- Grandma & Grandpa Ahn came and left. They loved on you more than you’ll ever know and although it makes your mama super sad they won’t be around as much as they were with your big bro, it’s ok…life goes on.
- You had your first photoshoot with Auntie Sako, and you were a natural.
- You went on your first ferry ride to Bainbridge Island at 2 weeks old.
- You celebrated your mama’s 33rd with family at one of our favorite local Thai restaurants.
- You went to your first church service at The Well at 3 weeks old.
- You had many visitors at the hospital & home: Grandma & Grandpa Ahn, Grandma & Grandpa Chong, Auntie Hyunah & Uncle Tae, Auntie Julie, Auntie Sako & Uncle Tim, Auntie Carol, Auntie Susan & Uncle Mika from CA, Uncle Jon, Auntie Sarah, Auntie Jean, and Auntie Sarah C. from CA.
From the bottom of our hearts, thank you all who have generously poured out your love and well wishes, checking up on us via texts/prayers, gift cards, visits and meals delivered to our home, and diapers/wipes shipped over. We humbly receive your love and appreciate your generosity tremendously!!
On a fun note, I’m so excited as our family is preparing to make our way down to CA for a much needed family vacay and coordinate a very special 1st birthday I’ve been helping out with! More details and pictures to come 🙂 Until then, here’s a look at Devyn’s 1st month~